Laser dentistry is a new and innovative way of performing many dental jobs. This new technology in dentistry is precise in the sense that it focuses on the affected area and doesn’t damage the tissue that surrounds that area. Well, the damage control depends on the ability of the dentist to control the output of power and how long the tissue (gum or tooth) is exposed to the rays. If you experience a toothache or other tooth problems, it is advisable to consider a dentist that has integrated laser dentistry technology in their treatment and practices.
Tooth related health problems are so uncomfortable. Patients with tooth issues are always in pain and often fall into depression. Moreover, treating such issues also inflict a lot of pain on patients and that’s why a visit to the dentist is a dreaded thing. With the use of the laser dentistry technology, procedure pain and recovery time is minimized.
More benefits are as follows:
1. Blood loss is minimized because high-energy beam of light aids quick coagulation blood vessels that are exposed. The dental process wouldn’t require the use of stitches.
2. Bacterial infections die under the heat of the high-energy light beam. This makes the affected area free from germs.
3. The damage that would ordinarily be inflicted on the surrounding tissues is minimized with the use of laser dentistry. In fact, wounds heal much faster, and there’s a quick regeneration of tissues.
The Applications of Laser Dentistry
The use of laser dentistry technology cuts across many functions of a dentist, some of which they cannot perform ordinarily.
The two popular applications are as follows:
The Procedures Associated with Hard Tissues- tooth.
1. Detecting Cavity: reading the byproducts produced from tooth decay, Low-intensity soft tissue lasers can be used to detect cavities early.
2. Tooth Fillings or Tooth Preparation: with the use of hard tissue dental lasers, dentists eliminate the need for a local anesthetic injection. They use it directly for a dental filling. Using laser ensures long time tooth restoration, and it kills bacterial infections located in the cavity. But they are not proper for replacing amalgam fillings, inlays or crowns.
3. To Stop Tooth Sensitivity: the tubules at the root of the tooth are responsible for the hot and cold tooth sensitivity. Laser dentistry is used to seal the tubules.
The Procedures Associated with Soft Tissues- gum:
1. Soft tissue laser can be used to reshape the gum tissue and expose a healthier set of teeth. It makes the gum a firm foundation for better tooth restoration. It is mostly referred to as crown lengthening.
2. Some gummy smiles are not good. Laser dentistry can improve the appearance of gummy smiles. It does this by reshaping the gum to expose a good looking and healthier tooth appearance.
3. Tongue tied children are unable to do many things like feed properly as infants. Frenectomies that solve such problems are now conducted with laser dentistry technology. Laser frenectomy also helps correct speech impediments.
4. A totally suture-free and painless surgery that helps the removal of soft tissue folds can be done effectively with dental lasers.
For more information on laser, dentistry contacts Murias D.D.S.